Deep learning is probably one of the hottest topics in the world of technological development these days. Whether it is a large corporation or a young startup, everyone is rushing towards this fancy term which turns out to be amazing and perhaps a bit scary too.
Artificial intelligence and machine learning have been the cornerstone of the next computing revolution with the ability to recognize patterns and predict future outcomes. Just as Amazon gives you suggestions to shop things online or Netflix gives you suggestions regarding what series to watch next, it requires the intervention of human programming as well. Deep learning, on the other hand, can predict things automatically.
Deep learning- an artificial intelligence function imitating the workings of the human brain in processing data and creating patterns for the human brain in decision making is completely based on artificial neural networks. While machine learning uses a little simpler concept, deep learning works with artificial neural networks designed to simulate how humans think and learn. It is an important element of data science and extremely beneficial to data scientists with tasks of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting large amounts of data.
Artificial neural networks also called Deep Neural Networks (DNN) are networks where each layer performs complex operations pertaining to representation and abstraction that make sense of images, sound, and text. In short, deep learning as a subset of machine learning follows a hierarchy of artificial neural networks to carry out the process of machine learning
DEEP LEARNING IN ACTION:
Deep learning has the potential to transform society and making its way into applications of all domains and sizes.
- Google has been using deep learning to deliver effective solutions for people. Google Translate uses deep learning and image recognition to translate voice and written languages.
- Google PlaNet can identify where a photo has been taken from a device.
- PayPal has implemented deep learning to prevent fraudulent payments.
- Automated driving, where researchers have used deep learning to detect objects such as stop signs and traffic lights.
- Health care, cancer researchers are using deep learning to automatically detect cancer cells in the human body.
- Industrial automation, deep learning is used for the safety of workers to automatically detect if or when someone is within an unsafe distance of machines.
Deep learning has enabled many practical applications of machine learning with advanced and successful decision making by organizations in a short span of time. It is an exciting field that is rapidly changing our society.
I hope you guys added some weight to your knowledge by reading this blog.
Stay motivated and enjoy learning!